Hearty Chicken Shorba Soup w. Chickpeas (low-fat)
October 4, 2010 Leave a comment
It was a rainy, overcast chilly day in LA today. The type of day that gets you excited to wear a pair of great boots, layer up and enjoy a comforting bowl of soup. But not just any soup — today was screaming for a hearty soup that eats like a meal. I am a huge chicken soup fan, but I needed something that was more satisfying today so I turned to my Mothers’ classic Chicken Shorba Soup. This soup is a traditional middle eastern soup and I think it is a perfect hybrid of tomato rice and chicken soup…with all that, what’s not to like? I choose to switch out the original white rice for its fiber rich cousin (brown basmati) and load it up with veggies and protein rich garbanzo beans. When I made this soup a few weeks ago, our dear house guest could not get enough (which was a pure delight to me as my Husby is afraid of Garbanzo beans!). If you make it on a cold rainy day for yourself or make it for guests — I know you will end up feeling good about how delicious, easy and healthy it is!
Beauty Bonus: Tomatoes are rich in anti-oxidants and so they counter the aging effects on the skin, by cutting out the number of free radicals in your body. Free radicals break down the support system for your hair and skin, so it makes sense to eat a tomato a day.
Chicken Shorba Soup w. Chickpeas
- 8 Cups Water
- 4-6 Pieces of Chicken on the bone (I use a mix or dark and white)
- 1 Medium Onion -chopped
- 2 Stalks Celery- chopped
- 2 Tbs Tomato Paste
- 3 Clove Garlic crushed
- 1 Medium Tomato- chopped
- Sea Salt & Freshly Ground Pepper- to taste
- 11/2 Tbs Koobah Spice Mix (this is a mix or curry, cardamon & cumin)
- 4 Cardamom Pods- crushed
- 11/2 Cups Garbanzo Beans
- 1 Lemon a fresh squeeze for each serving (optional but delicious)
- In a dutch oven or soup pot add chicken pieces and cover with about 8 cups water (or about 3-4 inches above chicken)
- Let soup boil and remove any oil, impurities and foam that surface. I take extra long when doing this to assure a light and clean soup.
- Add celery,tomato, onions, garbanzo beans, tomato paste, salt, pepper, cardamom and koobah spices. Bring back to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Add rice and continue to cook until the grains are soft and plump (about 45-55minutes).
- Remove chicken pieces and set aside on a plate to cool for a few minutes. Once cooled discard skin and bones and break meat into chunks and return to soup.
- Bring soup to a simmer
- Optional: Squeeze the lemon into the soup or on individual servings.